This is one of the five vessels I made for the Diversity exhibition. 100% cotton wrapped round cord and machine stitched. I use cotton fabric so that I can have the option of dyeing it if I want. This vessel was dyed using Procion dyes. The embellishment was inspired by my brothers wallpaper, re-drawn and manipulated to make a stitchable design. I started this vessel last week when I didn't have all my 'get up and go' and finisied stitching it last night. Decision as to whether I shall dye or paint it depends on how long it takes to complete the piece of hand stitching I have been doing.
I bought this peacock Indian woodblock at the FOQ in August. I have printed it onto 100% cotton and I am gradually hand stitching it. I have been trying to find out how to do chemanthy stitch and found a site showing me, now found out there is two versions of the same stitch or so it seems. I shall now be doing a bit of reverse stitching and doing the version I prefer.
I will be dyeing this piece eventually, bit can I wait that long to colour the vessel, not sure yet.